The application process may vary by community because each Local Cultural Council is authorized to set local guidelines and priorities. It is important to read a council's local guidelines and priorities before applying. Continue reading for more general information about applying, and to access the LCC application forms.
Applicants complete their applications and submit them
directly to the local cultural council to whom they are applying.
While all LCCs use the same basic application forms, some
may require additional information from their applicants.
Before submitting an application, applicants should read the
LCC's local guidelines for additional application instructions.
Local guidelines can be found on LCC public web pages at www.mass-culture.org/lcc_public.aspx.
To submit an application for review:
- Complete the appropriate application form on the computer using Word or Adobe Reader (PDF).
- Print out the completed application.
- Sign and date the application.
- Mail it directly to the appropriate LCC - the MCC does not accept applications.
Unless a Local Cultural Council prohibits the practice, it may be possible to submit more than one application to a Local Cultural Council. However, because the demand for LCC funds far exceeds the supply, applicants should first contact their Local Cultural Council to discuss whether or not it makes sense to submit more than one application or to prioritize the applications.
If an applicant feels that a program will provide public benefit to more than one community, they may submit an application to more than one LCC.
Back to Top
- MCC announces LCC's state allocations
- LCCs post their local guidelines and priorities to their webpages.
- Applicants can begin to fill out and submit LCC grant applications.
- Grant applications must be sent to the LCC and postmarked by the deadline, generally October 15.
- LCCs conduct their voting meetings, mail out disapproval letters and handle reconsideration requests.
- LCCs send approval letters to grantees and publicize grant awards.
- LCCs process reimbursement requests with their municipality. The time it takes LCCs and cities and towns to process reimbursements varies but can take 4 and 8 weeks.
- Grantees carry out their programs and acknowledge the funding they've received through the MCC/LCC.
Back to Top
Applications and Forms
The following forms should be used if an LCC does not supply its own:
Field Trip Grant Application (Word) (PDF)
Formerly known as a "PASS Application." This application should only be used when requesting a grant
for a cultural field trip for children, grades pre-K through 12.
Standard Grant Application (Word) (PDF)
This application should be used for all other grant requests.
Back to Top
Glossary: You can preview the glossary before completing
an application. The application forms also include terms in
blue, underlined text, which you can click on for a definition
or more information.
Budgets: You can preview sample budgets before applying.
The application forms also include terms in blue, underlined
text, which you can click on for a definition or an example.
Tips for Completing the Application:
- The Word forms should be completed using Microsoft Word 1997 or newer. The PDF form should open in your internet browser, but can be saved and opened with Adobe Reader. If you do not have Word or Adobe Reader on your PC or Mac, you may consider going to your public library to complete the form.
- Type your answers into the shaded gray boxes on the form. When the box stops expanding you have reached the character limit for that field.
- To move through the form use the "Tab" key. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR "RETURN" KEY. Using your return key will break up the formatting and make it difficult to read and evaluate your application.
- To move through the budget sections use the "Tab" key. This will ensure that the form auto-calculates fields for you where it should.
- If you do not need to answer the supplemental questions for capital expenditures or scholarships in sections B or C of the application, please do not include sections B and C with your application when you mail it to your LCC.
- Remember to save a copy of the application locally onto your computer and to save frequently while you work so you don't lose anything if something goes wrong.
- Under "Projected Income" the "Amount Requested from this LCC" autofills based on what you entered at the top of the second page of the application under "Project Information." If that number does not appear automatically, go to the second page of the application, click on the amount and hit "Tab."
Back to Top